Honest Conversations about Racism is a program that allows you to engage with other parishioners in learning about the history and lasting legacy of racism in the United States and understanding how it continues to raise its ugly head in our own lives and those of the community.
About 140 parishioners attended the Lenten series in 2022 conducted by the Racial Justice Circle of Baltimore. At the final meeting in Lent 2022, you asked for the conversations to continue. And so they will! The Racial Justice Committee is offering a series of six Zoom sessions starting in October 2022 and ending in May 2023.
Following the Honest Conversations About Racism (HCAR) program during Lent, HCAR 2.0 aims to continue to open our hearts and minds to people of all races as we work individually and as a community to end the evil of racism. The goal of this program is to continue to engage parishioners of St. John’s in a journey to heal the wounds of racism through increased understanding of historical and current injustices against African Americans.
Notes from the May 17 “The Way Forward” Meeting
- October 5, 2022: Voter Access — See the Video and Links
- November 9, 2022: Catholic Church — See the Video and Links
- January 11, 2023: Economic Development — See the Video
- February 1, 2023: Education — See the Video
- April 19, 2023: Healthcare — See the Video (Survey follow-up)
- May 3, 2023: Criminal Justice — See the Video (References) (Survey follow-up)
- May 17, 2023: The Way Forward — A Face-to-Face gathering (See the Flyer)
For further information, text Natasha Byus at 662-799-1553 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coming Next: Wednesday, May 17 at 7pm at Wilde Lake, there will be a live face-to-face event following our two years of Honest Conversations via Zoom. We will look towards The Way Forward. See the attached flyer. Pizza and…
- Coming Next: On May 17 at 7pm at Wilde Lake, there will be a live event following our two years of Honest Conversations via Zoom. We will look towards The Way Forward. See the attached flyer. File…
- A Reminder: TONIGHT, we have another Honest Conversation about Racism will address inequities in Criminal Justice. Please join us at 7pm, via Zoom https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82213129328?pwd=N0Uya2d6Ujk4eFZEUFZjREtlQmladz09…
- A Reminder: Just stepped out of the Soledad O'Brien presentation that the Horizon Foundation hosted on Saturday (wonderful!!!)… and wanted to remind you that we have another Honest Conversation about Racism will address…
- A Reminder: Our next Honest Conversation about Racism will address inequities in Health Care. It will be held Wednesday April 19 at 7pm on Zoom. Please join us at …