St. John the Evangelist parishioners donate frozen casseroles to help feed the homeless and other needy persons in Baltimore City at the Catholic Charities’ Our Daily Bread dining center.
With your help, St. John’s can continue to help feed the hungry. To volunteer or for more information, contact Jeanette Jenkins at firstname.lastname@example.org
How can I help?
- Prepare and donate frozen casseroles for our parish’s monthly collection dates.
- Distribute empty pans the weekend before collection, or collect the frozen casseroles at Wilde Lake Interfaith Center.
- Transport the donated casseroles to Our Daily Bread in Baltimore.
2022 Casserole Collection Dates
Drop off frozen casseroles in the Wilde Lake Interfaith Center lobby on the scheduled weekends:
- Saturdays 3:30-4:00pm (before 4:00pm Mass)
- Sundays 9:30-10:00am (before 10:00am Mass)
Please do not leave your casserole if a program volunteer is not present to accept it. No volunteers are available during Mass or at any other time during the week.
- January 15 & 16
- February 19 & 20
- March 19 & 20
- April 9 & 10 **note non-standard date
- May 14 & 15
- June 18 & 19
- July 16 & 17
- August 20 & 21
- September 17 & 18
- October 15 & 16
- November 19 & 20
- December 17 & 18
Important: Do not make any changes to this recipe. All casseroles must be uniform.
Use safe food handling techniques. Wash hands with soap and water for 30 seconds before beginning cooking, and if you touch your face or hair, or leave the kitchen.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 lb. red kidney beans, drained
- 32 oz. ketchup
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- Brown meat and onion. Drain fat.
- Add sugar, kidney beans, ketchup and chili powder. Stir together until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into pan. DO NOT BAKE.
- Cover with heavy duty aluminum foil (no plastic wrap).
- Label with “SJERC Chili” and the date prepared.
- FREEZE the casserole until solid (this is important!)
And what you do for the least of my brothers and sisters, you do for me. (Matthew 25:40)